Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Yes- I'm Running for Council Again


I have tendered nomination papers for Councillor , and am asking for your support.

A friend commented recently that governance is about teamwork and consensus building, but elections are about divisions. So it is ironic that between periods of working together, incumbent candidates try to distinguish themselves, while aspiring new candidates both question the old team and offer themselves as better choices.

When first elected to Bowen Council nine years ago, I promised to fulfill a personal commitment to ‘give it my all’, to roll up sleeves, work hard and work smart.

Since then, I have been both a team player and pursued individual initiatives. I bring a moderate view and balanced approach to the table, often floating compromises that end up successfully adopted.

In response to a spike in what the RCMP calls ‘domestics’, I sought out and was able to obtain funding for the Bowen Home Safe Program, providing counseling and crisis intervention for women. I championed green building standards that have now become entrenched in our bylaws. I helped craft language for several grants, including one that has brought $400,000 for sewer upgrades and expansion. I worked with Abbeyfield on density/typology issues- that application is now working its way toward approval this year. I researched cost effective firehall and community centre options, was an early advocate for a Re-use it store, and suggested a Forest Retention bylaw, all of which were backed up with power point presentations to Council.

I have provided liaison to a number of community groups and advisory committees, including Parks and Recreation, Greenways, Community School Joint Mgm’t, the Civic Facilities Working Group, and the Sewer Committee. Additionally, I am the representative for the Sea-to-Sky Air Quality Management Plan, bringing forward the anti-idling bylaw, and next, alternatives to industrial/ commercial outdoor burning practices. I researched and analyzed Council remuneration, which led to the adoption of a policy that de-politicizes this issue once and for all.

As an Island Trustee, I helped shepherd the Fairy Fen Crown Land Grant to its successful conclusion, and am now working on Crown Land Inventories, NAPTEP (Natural Area Protection Tax Exemption Program), and obtaining protection for the Lieben property.

Please allow me to continue with this work and more, by re-election for Councillor on November 15th.

Peter Frinton

No comments: