Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Attributes as a Councillor


This is horn-blowing, so you are forewarned....

I think I've been a good elected official, and have been complimented on this (in between all the complaints). So here are some personal attributes:

1. I am well informed. This comes from interest and curiosity, coupled with having been at it a long time. Between myself and Alison Morse, we hold pretty much all of the corporate memory. Alison knows the details, I am more about big picture- strategic planning, trends, background. Our senior staff are all relative newbies.

2. I work hard. I do lots of homework, looking up comparable legislation, alternate solutions, etc. I attend almost all meetings and extra functions, go to conferences, get educated. I come to every Council meeting well prepared, and with an open mind. (That's why I don't hold strong positions about most things- I listen to what others say and have changed my vote as a result on many occasions). I sit on/liaise with lots of committees. Most of this is unpaid.

3. I communicate, often to excess. I talk with people, and am almost always 'available'. I post on the Phorum, write letters, lots of emails. I give interviews topress (mostly Vancouver and North Shore, on regional issues). Primarily, it is to inform, or to correct misperceptions, not push an agenda.

4. I advocate, for initiatives and for people. EVERY time someone contacts me and asks something, or has a problem at Muni. Hall, I investigate and try to help. Not always successfully. This takes time, effort, and is often not universally appreciated, particularly when the Muni. has messed up. They don't like me at the Hall when that happens.

5. I initiate. I have a long list of things that I spearheaded over time, from getting Bowen to be covered by the North Shore Women's Crisis Centre, to the anti-idling bylaw, to introducing new language on economic development in the OCP and a whole a new section on air quality. I got a grant to update our open burning regulation.

6. I follow through. Despite, having to concede defeat at times, I stick with stuff until it hits a dead end.

7. I play on the team. Many times, I will push for a compromise solution when things bog down, or will relinquish a position in favour of just 'getting something done'. This is a hard lesson, as often a compromise is not ideal, but between a choice of deadlock or a half-deal, I usually take the latter.

8. Besides knowledge, I've accrued enough experience to get pretty good at decision making. Through roles as Island Trustee, Metro Vancouver Director, sitting on three Metro Committees, plus LMTAC (Treaty Advisory), and finally Translink, I've gotten a huge range of exposure to important broader issues. So every time I sit down at our Council table, I bring that wide perspective.

No comments: